Monday, January 6, 2014

Words Actually Mean Things, You Know???

I mentioned in a couple comments in a couple other places that the Mrs. and I were planning to attend a black-tie charity event in town.  The Mrs. wanted to do it and got us the tickets.  I went whole-hog and got us a limo for the night, the expense of which was totally worth it once I saw how excited she was over getting a limo ride.  I took her to one of those “OMG YOU GOT A TABLE THERE?!” restaurants and had one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten.  Then we hit the event.

It was unremarkable in every way except one:

Apparently, folks these days have no concept of the fact that “black tie” actually means something.  “Black tie” is a condensed way of expressing the fact that an event has a very specific dress code:

For men, it involves a black dinner jacket with satin collar and lapels, white shirt, black pants with the satin stripe down the side, and a black neck tie and patent leather shoes (think James Bond, and you'll be there).  For women, it is generally an ankle or calf-length gown.  My wife had this ankle-length dark blue number with an open back and spaghetti straps.  I got the standard by standard black tie tuxedo. 

The thing is, if the event really means it, this dress code isn’t negotiable.  Many events will turn you away at the door if you don’t come in “black tie” apparel. 

Apparently, the “black tie” part of this event was just a polite suggestion.  The worst dressed man I saw there was wearing gym shorts, a red hoodie sweatshirt, and a baseball cap with long, unwashed hair coming out from under it.  The most common outfit for men was a nice pair of blue jeans and a button up shirt.  There were a few more that came in dockers and a button up shirt, several of them with a neck tie.  There were only four other men out of over a hundred men there who actually met the dress code, me included. 

Look, guys, I know that you probably didn’t have education in this sort of stuff, because the public schools are too busy teaching you about multi-culturalism to actually give you any culture, but if a damned backwoods boy like myself can be arsed to know about “black tie” and what that means, I don’t think it’s too damned much to ask you to Google it real quick before you show up to an affair that has explicitly set a dress code.  It pissed me off that I was one of only four men who actually figured it out, but that regardless, I was the one who got to feel overdressed and uncomfortable for the evening. 


Mrs. Goober looked lovely, and I think it did her some good to dress up and unwind for a night.  We had a good time, and rang in the New Year like a boss.  Hell, I’d even go do far as to say we did it like a SIR….  

6 comments:

  1. There's a certain satisfaction in doing things right, even if others are slacking at it. Certainly the guy wearing gym shorts and a hoodie was showing remarkably little respect to the event and, by natural extension, the charity involved. Pity.

    That being said, I've only just recently learned the rules for black-tie, and how they relate to white-tie or formal attire. At the least, though, I would have expected much more than jeans and a nice shirt. Well done, Sir, for your knowledge and respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect everyone to know all aspects of formal dress rules and regulations. The only reason I know these things is because of a wikipedia bing on went on a few years back that somehow included a link to the ins and outs of formal attire.

      The funny thing is, I don't know the ins and outs of "white tie." Never linked to that page. But if I got invited to a "white tie" event, I'd damn sure Google it and figure it out before I went.

      It's about respect. When someone invites you to an event, and asks you to dress to some code as a prerequisite to entering that event, I can't even fathom how anyone could see showing up in anything less as anything but rude and disrespectful. There is a reason a lot of these events turn people away at the door if they aren't dressed to code - it isn't because the people inside are too snooty to deal with someone "less than code" attire; no, it's because that guy is showing remarkable disrespect and rudeness to the person who launched the event, and should be treated as such.

      Delete
  2. I eventually figured out that I am more comfortable being over dressed than I am being under dressed. At least if you are over dressed for the crowd but appropriate for the event you can write a screed such as the above. All you can do if under dressed is celebrate your buffoonery.

    I took my wife to a nice restaurant for our anniversary this past week end. Given where we live I was sure I could get away wearing jeans if I chose. I also knew my wife would be happier and feel a bit more special if I upped my game a bit. No contest. Dress boots, silver buckle, etc. won in a walk. Sure enough. I was one of the better dressed men there. (The temps were in single digits so everyone made a concession or two for winter.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think it’s too damned much to ask you to Google it real quick before you show up to an affair that has explicitly set a dress code. The only reason I know these things is because of a wikipedia bing on went on a few years back that somehow included a link to the ins and outs of formal attire.

    Regards,
    Luxury Hair extensions

    ReplyDelete