Thursday, April 17, 2014

Gooberticker Update

I went to the electro-cardio-physicist, or whatever the hell he called himself, yesterday.

It’s confirmed.  I’ve got the AFIB. 


They had me on the ECG yesterday and I’ll be damned if I wasn’t just AFIB-ing my little heart out (ba-dum tiss!), even though I couldn’t feel it.  Other than being tired.  More tired than I ever remember being. 

Or maybe tired isn’t the way to describe it.  Maybe fatigue is a closer word. 

Anyway, he told me that I needed surgery.  Something called an ablation.  I guess they want to go in with a catheter and burn away/scar the part of my heart that isn’t working right. 

This sounds somewhat terrifying to someone who is sincerely hoping to be able to use that heart for another 60-ish years.  Sounds like it’s time for a second opinion, but to be honest, from all the research I’ve done on the situation, it looks like ablation is my best option (the other one being drug therapy for the rest of my life, but since I was in AFIB this morning, the drugs didn’t seem to be working too well).  

2 comments:

  1. Bonus: You can find a way to work "ablative meat shield" into a conversation and see who laughs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ultimate inside baseball. I'm running short on dinero Tam, what with the medical bills, so my keyboard replacement fund is perilously low. Be gentle with me :)

    ReplyDelete