Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Outdoors Update - March 2013


Pheasant hunting this weekend!  It was pretty fun.  We had 11 guys meet up at a local hunting ranch for the weekend, where we rented a cabin and just enjoyed ourselves.  We got a lot of hunting in, which was very good for the dogs.  Also for me, since I don’t get enough exercise anymore, what with my sedentary job and my proclivity towards physical inactivity conditioned into me from my injury and illness years back. 

My bird dog, Dutchess, is worn out.  She hasn’t moved much for the past couple of days.  So much so that it didn’t even bother her when my daughter crawled up on her while she was sprawled out on the couch – she usually hates that.


It caused me to realize that at 8, she isn’t exactly a spring chicken anymore.  I felt a twinge of sadness in the realization that I might only have 5 more seasons with her if I’m lucky.  I’ve come to realize that Kipling was right about the foolishness of giving your heart to a dog.  Yet I continue to do it over and over again, and already have plans of picking up a pup so I can get started on training while I still have Dutchess around to help out.  So much the fool. 

I’ve come to realize that my little Remington 1100 20 gauge is really a nice little gun.  My realization came when I broke it down after the trip and saw that it hadn’t been cleaned in a while.  A long while.  I figure it has 6 rounds of sporting clays and four hunting trips since its last cleaning, and yet, it didn’t malfunction once on me this weekend.  I felt kind of bad, so I took extra time yesterday to clean it well before locking it back up in the safe.  Good little gun.  Bad owner.  

1 comment:

  1. If I had to guess, that means that I put 700 rounds through that gun without cleaning it once. It didn't malfunction one time through all of that.

    Remington shotguns for the win!!!

    ReplyDelete