Friday, December 5, 2014

Unemployed...

Throughout my problems with my heart, through the surgery and afterwards when I've felt worse than I've ever felt in my entire life, my boss kept piling on.
The month that I had my heart surgery, he handed me another 9 million dollar project to do.

End of story, one of my jobs went south.  Way south.

And I just got fired.

Small mercies, I guess, because I was about to quit.  I talked it over with Mrs. Goober, and we decided that if I couldn't get some help and relief at the office, that I needed to tender my resignation.  They merely beat me to it.

So, I'm going to take some time to get well again.  I think that's possible now that I'm not working 60 hour weeks and stressing until I'm vomiting up blood (as I was all day Wednesday - goddamned blood thinners).

Anyway, I'm going to convalesce over the holidays, and start looking for work after New Years.  Given my repeated health issues, exacerbated by stress at work (construction project management is in the top ten most difficult and stressful jobs in America), I think I'm seeking a lifestyle change.  I won't make it to 50 at this rate.

Time to search for a new career.  This is scary for me.  I need to stop fearing change and embrace it.

Beyond that, however, I need suggestions - what should a 15 year construction project manager with a Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management be looking to switch over to?

Maybe subcontracting, to keep it more simple?

Maybe work on becoming a product rep?

Maybe become an owner's representative for some major outfit that's always building stuff (local hospitals or possibly a university)?

Or should I truly just retire, and get a job in the building department of the local munis?

I have swallowed my ego - I understand that my physical condition precludes me from setting the world on fire in a high stress career.  I'm done with that.

But what's next?

2 comments:

  1. Geez, you've had a year, man! I'm thinking you may be justified in sleeping till Christmas, at this rate. At this point, I don't have much to offer on career advice. After a year of remodeling my own house, and two years of being a Full Time Dad, I don't have much of a finger on the pulse of the industry. I personally decided to open a custom furniture and woodworking concern, instead of going back to full time residential construction. Got any ideas to build on fun tangential skills? As trite as it is to say 'do what you love and you'll never work a day', it does make a difference when you really like what you do with your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. You want to put up a tip jar? I'd hit it.

    ReplyDelete